School Visit FAQs
There are three ways to apply for funding assistance:
- An admission discount of $2 off per student is available for Rochester City School District class visits. Call 585-263-2700 for more information.
- Transportation funding of $125 per bus is available to a limited number of classes in Monroe County through the Ruth Donahue Maurer Fund, established in memory of long-time museum volunteer Ruth Donahue Maurer. Demonstration of need is required. opens in a new windowComplete the funding request form or call 585-263-2700 for more information.
- For schools participating in the BOCES Arts in Education program, lesson costs may be eligible for state aid. Please contact Young Audiences of Rochester at 585-530-2060 for more information.
Adult chaperons are required to accompany students on museum visits. Chaperons must be at least 18 years of age. School classes may bring one chaperon free-of-charge for every three students (1:3 adult-to-child ratio). Adults beyond the 1:3 adult-to-child ratio, and who are not members, pay full admission. If the class is scheduled for a butterfly lesson, the chaperons fulfilling the required adult-to-child ratio may enter Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden with students. Additional adults will pay $5 each to enter the garden.
Lunch may be brought by students. Advance reservations for lunch seating are required for all school groups planning to eat at the museum. Please note that groups not registered for a school program may not reserve lunch space.
Lessons and Field Trips
Final number of attendees in your group and full, nonrefundable payment is due two weeks prior to schedule visit. Payment may be made by cash, check (made payable to The Strong), money order, or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover Card).
Prior to Arriving at the Museum
- Discuss the day’s plan and schedule with all chaperons and students prior to your visit. This helps everyone know what to expect.
- Create name tags. This will help personalize the visit.
- Review museum guidelines.
Please review these guidelines prior to arrival at the museum.
- Chaperons must stay with an assigned group of children while at the museum. Chaperons are responsible for the safety and behavior of those children.
- Chaperons must immediately report any emergency or any child separated from the group to a museum staff member.
- Be considerate of other guests in the museum.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the exhibits. They can damage exhibits and artifacts.
Individuals and groups are subject to the rules and regulations of The Strong. The Strong reserves the right to expel from the premises any person or group, without refund, where the presence or conduct of the individual or group is deemed objectionable by The Strong in its sole discretion, or if the individual or group fails to comply with any and all security measures and applicable laws.
The museum encourages requests from schools and organizations serving individuals with special needs. Museum educators will adapt lessons to create a tailored experience for students. Visit the Accessibility page for social stories and information about accommodations for students with special needs. For more information, please call 585-263-2700.
Directions and Parking
The Strong is centrally located at One Manhattan Square in downtown Rochester, New York.
Buses may load and unload at the Howell Street entrance. Please call 585-263-2700 for more information. On-site bus parking is limited and subject to change.
Maximum vehicle height for the museum’s parking garage is 8’ 2”.
In Case of an Emergency
Museum security staff is certified in first aid and CPR. If assistance is required, please notify a host (identified by their guest relations shirts, black pants, and museum name tags) or a security officer.
Make a Donation Today
Become a champion for play and help make a difference in the lives of the children and families who play, learn, and grow with The Strong.